Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Reality sets in

I finally bit the bullet this week and registered with centrelink as a jobseeker. My initial 'appointment' with an employment services agency was today and I optimistically expected to actually have an appointment with someone ...but all I got was a form thrust in my direction from which the receptionist will upload my details onto a jobseekers website, one that I had already registered with online. Hmm... confidence inspiring? I think not! I now have to wait 2 weeks to receive my registration paperwork before I can go in to centrelink to see if I am able to claim anything. Good thing we're not completely out of money yet. I wonder how people with higher living expenses cope in this situation.

Work is proving to be harder to come by than we expected. After a solid week of hassling various employment agencies for temp work in Brisbane, we still both have zero job prospects. Also, the main agency in Stanthorpe, where we hope to be working from Feb to May, has 250 job seekers on their books with no current work and grim reports of incoming harvest crops due to hailstorms and colder than usual weather. I'm guessing a lot of it is related to time of year and economic climate but I really did believe that finding some basic admin/cleaning/labour/anything job would be easy in any circumstance. Oh well, it's only a temporary setback, I'm sure!

Bel :0)

2 comments:

  1. Hey there nice to see the blog. Is a great way to track you wanderers. :o) Sucks about the work situation. We need staff at out of school care so if you get reallllly desperate let me know.

    We should catch up for coffee while you are still in Bris. Have fun and much luck with the job hunt.

    Olivia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. job hunting sucks ass. you have our very knowledgeable sympathies. We are sending huge job luck vibes at your faces so watch it.

    much sunny english love, minus the tea.

    x x

    ReplyDelete